Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laboroflove, Apr 18, 2011.

1. laboroflove

laboroflove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    I bought 7 Silkie chicks from the feed store (local guy raises them), and was wondering how much different are they from other chickens? Or are they different at all (shelter, feed, daily care). I know that their feathers aren't water repellent, but other than that? I also know that they are more docile and have heard/read that they make good family pets (which is part of the reason for getting them). We lost ALL our 35+ chickens that we had to the foster dogs we had (they are now GONE), and my girls (and myself) were wanting more. We had three silkies then, but they weren't so approachable. I got them from a lady that just kept them in a pin all the time. I wanted to get a breed that they would be able to "love on". Is there a trick to get them friendly? Just spending time with them?

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Silkies are super sweet, and a huge amount of fun to watch. However, when they go broody they are not as easily handled. [​IMG] Any time you spend handling them and giving them extra affection is going to benefit their tolerance in the long run (as with any chicken). I say go for it!

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    i love silkies, the are so sweet. and

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Quote:I have only had chickens since last July, this spring we incubated 7 silkie eggs, all are fine and fun to have, we now have 9 outside, 4 more in a brooder box (2 weeks old) and our female broody hatched our first natural silkie chick this morning. They are lovely birds, handle them daily and enjoy them!

5. laboroflove

laboroflove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:LOL Hi back atchya! My 5 year old daughter was waving back at the smiley's.

OK so spending time with them is what i need to do then. Can you house train chickens? Just curious. If my husband would let me I would have at least one bird inside. [​IMG]

6. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    You can get chicken diapers. A lot of people here have house chickens. We have a chick right now that is arguing w/ us about being a house chicken. She says we are her flock...and we keep trying to tell her she belongs in teh brood box w/ her sisters! lol!!! She is a cochin.

We have 3 silkies. we handle our chicks a LOT. They are very very docile. They are not our friendliest (our friendliest are the cochins). But they wont run when we go to pick them up, they tolerate being handled really well. And when they are out walking around, they are very likely to pop up on your lap for some love.

7. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I just got Silkie chicks too and they are being rasied by a broody bantum cochin. She is a good mama and not letting anyone handle them to much.
    I hope they are as loveable as everyone says.

8. micayc

micayc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Centrel PA
    I love my silkies! I have white adults and just got red ones a few weeks ago, they are beautiful! Looking for showgirls in PA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by