1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dmitchell, Jun 2, 2011.

1. dmitchell

dmitchell Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Why don't Silkies roost?[​IMG]

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG] . Because they don't fly well like other chickens so the stay on the ground [​IMG]

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Hello & [​IMG] , from Missouri .

5. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    [​IMG] Im new too!
    They do roost, but the perch has to be very low ( only 3-4 inches high, to get them off the ground and more comftable)
    They cannot get high like regular fowl because their feathers break up(which creates the 'silkie' appearance)
    This means that their flight feathers cannot catch the air to push upwards, and so cannot fly.
    They are also very small. If I were you, I would put another perch down lower, but higher than the nest box, even if you need to equip a ramp. They prefer not to roost with bigger birds, but will if its necessary. And so if it is a high perch equip a safe ramp, and teach them to use it using corn.
    At the mo i have 7 silkies.
    Brandon.

6. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    [​IMG]

I dont know about silkies since I dont like them.If you want to learn I'd suggest you go to the "chicken behaviours and egg laying" topic and ask. [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. I'm so glad you asked that question -- I have two little silkies, and noticed they can't fly as well as the other chicks . . . but assumed it would get better when they get older. Now I know better! Welcome!

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good advice given. Our Silkies roost, but their perch is down much lower than any of the others. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by