Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffanyhurd, Jul 24, 2011.

1. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Does anyone know if there is a hatcherie in Washington State that has Silkies? I don't want to order them with all this heat. We live in the Tacoma area!

2. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    I live in Oregon and have been trying very hard to find silkies in either oregon or washington for months!
    No luck. The closest hatchery I found that carries them in Ideal Poultry in TX. Though I have been watching the weather pattern for a couple of weeks and checked the forcasts going all of the way down to TX for this coming week. Though it is in the 90's in TX it gets cooler and cooler the farther north they get and its supposed to cool down to 70's again for us NW people this week. I placed my order last night after unsuccessfully again finding them locally. Not only that but Ideal has very good shipping rates compared to some of the other hatcheries online. My order was half the cost of placing it with like mypetchicken.com including shipping.
    I ordered:
    8 blue silkies
    2 white brahmas

I will be posting picks of mine as soon as I get them. As long as the hens cooperate I will hopefully have mine this week. I requested this week as my ship date so they will ship I'm hoping on wednesday and I will have them on thur [​IMG] .
    If you do find a source in washington or oregon please do post as I would be very interested!

3. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    I got my silkies at the Graham Hay Market earlier this year. It's not that far from Tacoma. They still had chicks in when I picked up some crumbles last week. I'm not sure if they currently have silkies in or where they get their chicks from.

Copied the number and address over for you if you want to give them a call.

1 (253) 847-3482
    22818 Meridian Ave, Graham, WA 98338-9145

4. tiffanyhurd

tiffanyhurd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Thank you very much!!!

5. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    I placed my order on saturday and got a call at 9am monday morning from ideal to confirm my order for silkies.
    Great customer service from them. I would recommend them as they are a lot closer than most other big hatcheries and not so caught up in the heat wave stuff of the east coast. Leme know if you decide to order from them. I am currious to see some more of their silkies other than what I get from them. Mine are set for thursday (hopfully) delivery as long as usps cooperates.[​IMG]
    If you search the portland oregon CL adds there is a lady in Kalama that has posted some "Out of the Brooder" silkies. a variety of colors it looks like. IDK though. She also has post looking for chicken waterers and silkie hatching eggs.......

6. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I live on the east coast and... yay no more humidity! At least for these last two days [​IMG]
    And just in time too because my silkie order is shipping out tomorrow. We don't have any hatcheries around here. Especially with silkies so I ordered day old chicks online from Efowl. I order 15 of them with a replacement guarantee. They're shipping out tomorrow and I should have them by Thursday or Friday at the latest. I'm so excited to meet the little guys!
    Any tips or advice on how to best care for them? So far I only have my 2 chicks that I hatched from across the road the actual breed is still a mystery. Although I do believe Dot is a RIR and I think Fluff us some sort of speckled breed....
    I'm gonna be a newbie momma to silkies so any advice is ALWAYS wanted and welcome [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  8. Hinotori

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Quote:Ok, I had to look that up cause I was kind of excited for a hatchery close, but when I went to the page it said Lakewood which is a very odd city place for a hatchery and the name didn't sound right. It's not a hatchery, it's one of those mostly naked, bikini coffee shacks. The Chick in the title confused yellowpages.

Someone mentioned something to me once about a small hatchery over by Spokane, but I'm not sure on that.

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:Ok, I had to look that up cause I was kind of excited for a hatchery close, but when I went to the page it said Lakewood which is a very odd city place for a hatchery and the name didn't sound right. It's not a hatchery, it's one of those mostly naked, bikini coffee shacks. The Chick in the title confused yellowpages.

Someone mentioned something to me once about a small hatchery over by Spokane, but I'm not sure on that.

Ha..OMG, so sorry.....[​IMG]

10. Hinotori

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Oh it made me laugh! I concidered calling them and asking how much their silkie chicks were even after seeing they were coffee. That would have been a fun conversation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by