Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by morganponies2, Sep 24, 2011.

1. morganponies2

morganponies2 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Do all Silkies have turquoise earlobes? I have five Silkies that I hatched out this summer and only the white one has turquoise ears......are the others just late bloomers???

2. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    ours are buff color and the ears are blue,

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    My whites, blues, splash, buff, and partridges all have blue ear lobes. [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:

5. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Mine all have blue, 3 partridge and 1 white (she is hatchery). Even my silkie cross has blue.

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    it's part of the standard that they have blue earlobes.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It does take a few weeks to develop the blue color, but I would think they would have turned blue by now?

8. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    They are supposed to have turquoise ears, but over the years some strains of show Silkie have been "enhanced" with other birds to increase the fluffiness, shorten the legs or add new colors, so there are other genes floating around out there. The Cochin has a red earlobe, which on a black skinned bird looks like a black earlobe... I have a few black earlobed Silkies myself, from a fairly well known breeder's hatching eggs. These are black and blue birds. I blame it on the introduction of Cochin blood.

All my white Silkies hatched in June have very good blue ears - I think this is due to less mixing! Note, white was the original color of Silkies when they were first imported to the U.S.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by