Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    We have 4 Silkies. When we got them we were hoping for 1 rooster and 3 hens. I was happy to hear the first crow. Yay we have a rooster. A few weeks later I hear the second crow. So I think "okay 2 roosters and 2 hens." As the weeks went on I thought I heard a 3rd and 4th crow. They were all different. When I'd go out to investigate the 1rst one was the only one to crow. He's so proud! Two weeks ago I heard the crowing and walked out to them. They were all crowing! So we have 4 sweet Silkie roosters in the same coop. They all get alone fine. The first rooster ( we call him Roo ) keeps the others in check and they all sleep together. Do I have a problem on my hands or can they get along without a hen? We talked about selling 2 of them and getting some hens. One of them being Roo. Would that change the pecking order too much or will they be fine? I absolutely love the temperament of the Silkies. We have the Silkies away from the standard chickens because when they were little the Silkies were running for their life when one of our standards would try and jump and fly. Once we separated them the Silkies relaxed a lot. They were/are happy.

I love all my chickens. 4 red links, 4 black links, 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Buff Brahma and 4 Silkies.

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had three silkies roos together without a problem and now have two roos and two hens without a problem, mostly because the roos were raised together. That doesn't mean you won't have a probem if you add hens. They will establish a pecking order, hopefully without blood shed. Also, too few hens can mean overly abused hens so you will have to make sure your hens aren't getting bred too much. You will likely need a second bachelors coop. [​IMG]

3. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I had six white leghorn roos together at one time and they got along well. They were raised together and had an established pecking order, but were pretty gentle with each other and people. Silkies seem to have such a sweet disposition anyway, I would guess that you wouldn't have any problems. I have three silkie chicks right now, and the girl who bred them had a bunch of roosters in her coop and half as many hens. No bloodshed [​IMG]

4. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:I had three silkies roos together without a problem and now have two roos and two hens without a problem, mostly because the roos were raised together. That doesn't mean you won't have a probem if you add hens. They will establish a pecking order, hopefully without blood shed. Also, too few hens can mean overly abused hens so you will have to make sure your hens aren't getting bred too much. You will likely need a second bachelors coop. [​IMG]

Thank you

5. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Thank You

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by