Silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Oct 20, 2011.

1. efe@sc.rr.com

[email protected] New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    Having trouble getting Silkie chicks to live . Have hatched 7 chicks,only 2 have made it. Most that have died have done so in two to three days after hatching. Also very low % of eggs are hatching, like 15 to 20%.
    RIR's are doing great, 90% hatch rate and 100% survival.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Could be a nutrition thing with the hen are these your eggs or shipped eggs maybe the hen is missing something in her diet are they being hatched in a incubator or with mama do u have the brooder temp right if they are in a brooder? need more details please

3. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    If your eggs what are you feeding, if your feeding layer feed the calcuim could be to high, causing the chicks to work to hard to get out.

4. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    hummm maybe a nutritional deficency in the parent birds or bacteria? But if you are setting other eggs at the same time I wouldnt say its bacteria. Are they hatching with really fat squishy bellies? That coud be caused by to high of humidity durring incubation and silkies are pretty suseptable to that. ( I cant remember what it is called) Sorry not more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by