1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SILKIES???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So I've always wanted one or two of those guys...but we have VERY cold & wet winters...would they need to be shut up in the coop? How do they do in very cold weather (like below zero?) My coop is NOT insulated, but do I have two heat lamps in there.

Plus, I think I'd like one or two to be broody for me. [​IMG] And I've heard they can be excellent broodies....

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My understanding is that they do quite well in cold weather (with the properly weatherized coop) but don't do so well in hot weather.

I have a friend who has some here in Colorado and she's never had problems through our sometimes frigid winters.

I finally got my first two Silkies ... they are only four weeks old.

They are known to go broody more than most other breeds and make great mommas!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would think with a heat lamp they would be fine. I don't think I could sleep at night if I didn't give them a heat lamp, but that's me

4. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I only got one silkie and I regret that day [​IMG] ... because I would want MORE!
    My little silkie is very cute not as cuddly as I would have liked, but she's a favorite.

I live in the PNW and I worried about the soggy dreariness of up here... but I was told also they don't like the heat.

5. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    My silkies do fine and we live in upstate New York, it can pretty bad up here. If they have shelter from the elements they'll be fine. Puff loves it outside and is the more "outdoorsy" of them all, even when the rest of the flock won't go out because it's nasty, there she is! They're pretty hardy little guys. I know that they're supposed to go broody for you, but she hasn't gone broody yet and she's a year old (which is just fine by me).

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    my silkies develop "iceballs" on their feet from tracking in the snow because they love it so much! [​IMG] I would recommend silkies to everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by