1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Timster881, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Timster881

Timster881 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Gainesville FL
    Can someone tell me where to learn about the breeding terms/ genetic make up behind breeding silkies. Like what breeds to what and such.

Thanks!

2. ChookhengeFarm

ChookhengeFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Clarkston Michigan
    I don't know that there is any one Ultimate resource. Most of it is trial and error, or learning from someone else. There used to be a website called Poultry Genetics for beginners, you might try searching for it. It may still be out there. I have not looked in ages. Generally speakingas far as color goes, you want to stay in the same color family (if your rooster is gold or red, breed to gold or red hens, if your roo is a blue/black/splash, breed him to hens of those colors, etc. If you cross something like a buff with a blue, you end up with stuff that is neither buff nor blue.. but a muddled mess of both. Whites are the exception, the genes for normal recessive white will not interfere with the color, but you won't know what you get from a white to colored bird cross until you try it.

Good Luck!

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You might try asking your questions on the already established thread(s) for Silkies, there are quite a few! Here is the main Silkie thread that encompasses all colors. It moves pretty quickly, so if your question gets overlooked, just ask again. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread/16390

4. Timster881

Timster881 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Gainesville FL
    okay thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by