Silkies

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken gal, Nov 30, 2012.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    ME WANT SILKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really want a silkie. I've heard that they are really nice. Any more facts I need to know before getting one.

Thanks!!!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They don't like ramps or roosts but can be trained to go onto a very low roost (maybe 6-8 inches high) and also to go up ramps if you keep the food inside the coop.

If you get two that is better as they like to sleep in a pile on shavings. They can't fly, and their feathers don't shed water well. They tend to get cold more than other breeds from what I have noticed in the past. They need a rain and wind shelter of sorts in the run as they will stand there getting wet.

They can't see hawks well, and should never be allowed to be bullied as they have a hole in the skull like a baby's soft spot.

I used to keep some in a shed coop and they liked it better than going up the ramp to a hutch. My youngest child is still upset that we don't have silkies anymore. I might get more one day....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    X 2. They can't get to anything that is higher than their chest and will sleep on the floor together. They tend to get bullied so keep an eye out. They can't see well at all so it is harder for them to escape predators. Also because they don't scratch you may need to trim their nails but it's easy to do. They are very sweet.

4. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    Granted mine are hatchery, but I raised them with some guineas and all four of mine fly up to the roost that is about 20" off the ground and the roo gets up on a 3 foot stump to crow. So, they may not fly well but some do fly somewhat. I got blue so that when they hatch out I will have blue, black and splash. Can't wait for them to go broody. They have been laying not for about 2 or 3 weeks.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Interesting about the claws. I did not know that. Thanks Dinos. I am getting mine Monday and now I will know to keep an eye out on the claws. I need to give my HUGE rooster his monthly pedicure this weekend so he doesn't tear into any of the girls. He doesn't like it.

6. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    A couple days ago a northern goss hawk tried to get in and man were those chickens scared (I was little bit scared too!) People have cut of the fluffy stuff in front of their eyes. I would feel bad for them.[​IMG]

7. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    I think that it is weird that they have 5 toes instead of 4. Crasy stuff!!!![​IMG]

8. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Some even have 6

9. kays chicks

kays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Derby UK
    i have 18 silkies 2 of young adults hen and a roo and rest chicks , they never get bullied they do the bulling half the time , i find them very confident chickens but not the brightest as they do stay out in the rain oh and she lays her eggs in a dog kennel instead of the coop ( GOOD JOB THE DOG DONT MIND [​IMG]) and then comes and tells me through th cat flap she has done one . they are very good broodies and ive even added polish chicks to her own and she has taken them on as her own . i will always hatch silkies as i just love them so much [​IMG]

10. jojomojo

jojomojo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    NW New Mexico
    I didn't realize this until just recently. I have one silkie in a mixed flock (used to have two, but it died as a chick), about 5 months old. She uses the ladder to make her way up to the roost 3.5' off the floor, squeezes in with everyone else.

Next summer she'll have more silkie friends and their own silkie coop though [​IMG] If I could find her some silkie friends locally, she'd have it now!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by