Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenkeeper12, Feb 1, 2013.

What is your favorite color silkie?

Poll closed Jun 26, 2013.
  1. White

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Black

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Buff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Blue

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Splash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Partridge

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Other color/ mixed colors ( post answer as comment)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chickenkeeper12

chickenkeeper12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    Hello everyone, I love silkies and I really want to see some of the beautiful birds out there so could you guys post some pics of your silkies. Also could you guys answer my poll of what your favorite color silkie is.
    Thanks
    mike

2. Zippy007

Zippy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Blue

3. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have any, but my favorites are the grays! I also like blues and partridges, but grays take the prize for me!

4. Je33ieg

Je33ieg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    These are pictures of the first three that I ever bought -- 1 splash, 1 white & 1 black. I also have a partridge breeding pair, but don't have pictures yet.

PS, I voted for partridge. they are by far the most beautiful in my opinion!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    they are beautiful. could you post the partridge breeding pair as soon as possible. also do you know what colors it takes to get partridge.
    thanks
    mike

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. Prestonsloan12

Prestonsloan12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    warrior Alabama
    [​IMG]

i just got her a few days ago! she is very nice! this is my first white silkie.

7. Je33ieg

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    i wish i could have gotten some better pictures, but my other rooster was aggravating them from outside their pen. so this is the best i've got!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    WOW!!!!!! They are absolutely beautiful. I wish I had a couple partridges. Do you free range your birds and if you don't do you have a covered pen and if you do free range have you lost any predators.

9. Je33ieg

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    Thank you :) I do free range them, but they all have a coop that they go back into at night. I've lost 4 Easter Eggers to stray dogs but luckily none of my silkies. The coops are in my goat pasture, which is where the chickens free range. For a while, the chickens would wiggle through the fencing wire and wonder around my yard. But since the stray dog killed those other chickens, they never leave the goat pasture thank goodness!

10. chickenkeeper12

Nov 25, 2012
    Connecticut
    That stinks about the Easter Eggers. Do you see hawks around cause we see hawks around all the time. Btw my neighbor got 20 Easter Eggers in 2009 and within 8 months they had all gotten killed by a coyote, raccoon, and two where killed by my dog. They came into my yard when my dog was out and he snatched them up. He wasn't mad cause he knew it was his fault.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by