1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kansas3, Oct 17, 2013.

1. kansas3

kansas3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2013
    My silkies r about 2 months old and have been in at night since they were born they go out during the day. the temps r going into the high 30's lower 40's at night we have hen houses that the little ones can get into. R they old enough to stay outside, They r in my closed in garage which is now somewhat of a nursery for baby chicks. They r really stating to smell bad even though I clean constantly. They R a good size.

2. KM and Ruthie

KM and Ruthie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Are the houses they would be in insulated, or not? What temp is it in your garage? If your chicks are fully feathered, they probably would be fine, as long as there was a heating lamp at first, to allow them to transition.

3. kansas3

Aug 30, 2013
    they r out all day even in the cooler weather and they r 2 months old. do have heat light for them .last night it was about 53degrees put them in there houses and they were all running around this morn.will keep heat light for the cooler nights. thanks.

4. kansas3

Aug 30, 2013
    hay vs shavings for the hen houses. which is better and warmer.

5. KM and Ruthie

KM and Ruthie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    I use wood shavings in my two coops, I'm not sure if hay would be as absorbent, even though it would be warmer...
    I think they should be fine with shavings with the heat lamp, and they huddle together for warmth.

Katherine

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  6. kansas3

Aug 30, 2013
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by