1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lisa lees, Oct 27, 2013.

1. lisa lees

lisa lees Out Of The Brooder

My daughter told me that she read that male silkies do not have feathers on there feet anyone know if this is true

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    It is not true, unless the bird isn't pure or something. All silkies, male or female should have feathered legs.

3. lisa lees

No she said feet I know they have feathers on there legs I was skeptical but wanted to ask because I have 3 babies and I'm hoping none are roosters

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nope, both genders of Silkies have feathers on their feet and legs. The amount of feathering varies depending on the individual bird and its genetics, but all purebred Silkies should have feathered feet/legs. Only Silkie mixes may have non feathered legs; however, whether they are feathered or not has nothing to do with gender.

5. lisa lees

That's what I thought kind of a funny question but my daughter said she read it in one of my mom's chicken magazine I just think she doesn't want me to get rid of one of my baby silkies if its a rooster I think two of them may be I cant really tell yet

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Silkies are hard to sex. If you want you could post pictures when they are around 16-24 wks of age and the folks here could take some guesses.

7. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Do NOT assume any of your silkies are roosters when they are still young! You really never know with these little buggers.

With my first silkies, I thought the boy was a girl and the girl was a boy for the longest time! I went back and forth so many times and now I have a beautiful, kind rooster and two pretty little hens.

Anyway, post pictures here as they grow up. I have the thread subscribed now and will give you my opinion on sex if you post pics when they're a bit older. The YOUNGEST I think you can start making guesses (not 90% sure until even older though- but it's always fun to get peoples' takes as they get older) is about 10 weeks- though some roosters will start crowing by 8 weeks.

8. lisa lees

What age is a good age to start feeding my babies regular feed my chicks are about 8 weeks old

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    By regular feed, do you mean layer feed? If not, what do you mean? Chicks should either be fed starter feed and then grower feed, or just starter feed, until they begin to lay (or reach about 18 weeks old). If you feed layer feed earlier than that, it will damage them.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by