Silkies

I'm thinking about getting some in the spring, I think they look absolutely amazing. Are you getting them hoping to produce a lot of eggs, because I have heard that they aren't the most reliable for big egg production. I also heard that they aren't the smartest type of chicken. But I've heard they they are very sweet and loving towards people. I think it just depends on what you want them form they are great as just pets I'm pretty sure. If I have the option I am definitely getting them!

I have a white silkie rooster. He was supposed to be a hen. I was going to get rid of him but my kids wanted him because he is so cool. They named him Yeti because he looks like a little abominal snow man. It turns out he is the best chicken ever! He rounds all the hens every night and he sits on my 5 pullets that are 7 weeks old to keep them warm every night! It was only 10 degrees today. If all Silkies are like him I highly recommend them!

Thank you to everybody for replying, alot of great advice!!:)) I'm looking forward to getting some silkies..although I do not want roosters, I just want hens..so I'm not sure how old they are before u can determine the sex??

Sexing is sooo hard in my experiance and 2 of my friends who breed silkies. More then less to say is ya may find out by a few months of age... but me its when they crow or grow a tail or lay a egg for me to fig it out.
Ive thought I had hen as no tail or crowing... then one day she crowed.
My hen who looked very much like a hen was indeed a lil roo.

I currently have 3 silkies in my coop of cochins. Later today I will be stopping by my friends farm as shes selling out and getting all her quality breeding stock. I will be gettin white, blue splash, blk, and silver partridge from her.

Keep in mind, if ur do or dont like showgirls, check the stock your looking at. A lot of breeders have them now mixed in. I hate showgirls and think they are ugly. So I will not buy any stock that has crosses to them.

Last edited:
I have a pair of white silkies. The one that turned out to be a roo was supposed to be a hen! Hmmm. Well, Daisy and Russell act just like a married couple and have since they were abt 12 weeks. They are 6 1/2 mos old now. Daisy lays an egg abt 6 days/week but doesn't sit to warm it. I have only found one egg that has had a blood tinge to the yolk so far. How on earth do you know when one is fertile? I have to keep these 2 separate from the big hens bec they are meanies even to Russell. I may have house chickens lol

Back
Top Bottom