SILKIES

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scott37, Jan 24, 2014.

1. scott37

scott37 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    cherry valley California
    Hi I have 2 silkies one black that is about 7 to 8 months and a white one that about 8 or nine months old. I am getting eggs from the white one but nothing from the black one. When I get eggs from the white one its like one every 3 days. I know that they should be laying more than that but my guess I'm doing something wrong? I dont have a chicken run yet cause I can't afford to build it yet. I let them out for 3 to 4 hours a day to get some light. There is no light that comes in the coop until I open it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.....

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A coop that lets no light in is a problem for several reasons. They require ventilation to remove the munidity and ammonia they put out in their breath and feces. Ammonia becomes toxic before levels are high enough that humans can smell it. Depending on where you live, the humidity also causes frostbite. And yes, darkness can certainly suppress laying.

You can go to your profile (upper right hand corner) and add your location to your postbit. For many questions, a general idea of the area where you live is helpful.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    No animal can be happy and healthy when kept in darkness, and three or four hours is not enough. I would find a way to put up a temporary run. A roll of chicken wire and some metal T posts will make a nice little enclosure for less than $100. Silkies can't fly high enough to get over the wire, so you won't have to go higher.

I don't know how high the ceiling on your coop is or what it's made out of, but I'd be cutting a couple of holes in that baby and adding windows.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    x3. You could even put them in a good sized dog crate for the day, just take out the tray so they can get to the dirt. Or even make a wire or screen cover for the coop door so you can at least open it and let light in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by