Silky and ? mix. What gender? Also EE question.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DerbyChook, Jun 5, 2011.

1. DerbyChook

DerbyChook Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    This is a silky mix that hatched with a batch of regular silkies. It has black skin but a regular four-toed foot. Mostly smooth feathers, although they are cutely curly. Larger by about a third than the regular silkies and more flighty. The farmer I got the eggs from has a number of other breeds, so clearly one of his other roos got in with the silkies for a few minutes at least. What breed do you think the roo was and is it a hen or roo? Pretty bird whatever the verdict.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an EE I got out of the pullet box at the hardware store, but I have my doubts about the pullet part. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They both hatched around April 1. Thanks for the opinions!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have 2 silkie mixes just like your and they are silkie and leghorn mixes and they look so beautiful against that dark skin. Here are some pics!

This is the little 6 week old I have and the second pic is the 5 month old. She has been laying since 4 months old!!! Oh, the roo in the pic is an ee/silkie mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Your EE is a pullet! They have those curved tail feathers that can fool you into thinking rooster, but I'm almost 100% sure that's a pullet.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yes, the EE is a pullet! No doubt!! [​IMG]

5. DerbyChook

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Great news about the EE!

Any idea if the silky mix is hen or roo? I don't think the it is a leghorn mix. I don't recall the breeder having leghorns. I guess I could call him and ask......

6. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I'm can't guess on the daddy, but she is really beautiful!

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Not sure who daddy is, maybe a cochin. Both look like pullets though. [​IMG] Pretty girls.

8. DerbyChook

May 15, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Yay to both pullets! I can ask the breeder what he thinks about the daddy next time I see him. Whatever the mix, she is very pretty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by