1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silky Bantam suddenly docile

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fifi3, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Fifi3

Fifi3 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Hi
    I have a silky bantam that all of a sudden just sits and looks around like she is 'out of it'. She can walk, but doesn't go far as she doesn't seem to know where or why she is moving. as her poo's are good, she looks amazing with white soft fluffy feathers, her comb is red, but she is not eating, I gave her some water today and she drank it. She seems blind but her eyes look fine they aren't glassed over. I noticed that she was shaking. I have isolated her in my dogs crate. Can chickens have something go wrong with their neurology? It seems like a brain thing but not sure.
    Can anyone give me any ideas on what could be happening and what to do?
    Many thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might have a neurological problem. Silkies, in particular, are vulnerable to problems like this. This is because their skulls aren't fully closed on top, and they can get injured by bumping their head on something.

How old is she? If she's having trouble walking, she could have a vitamin deficiency. Try giving her some vitamins (either special poutlry vitamins or Poly Vi Sol infant vitamins from a supermarket).

3. Fifi3

Fifi3 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm not sure how old she is as I adopted them when I moved into my house. She walks, stretches and prunes but that's it. She hasn't eaten, I try and hand feed her but she isn't interested. I put her with the chickens this morning when I gave them breakfast and it seemed that she had no idea what was happening. Its possible she fell, but who knows what happens in the chicken shed when no ones around!
    It does appear to be neurological as she looks so healthy. Iam afraid she will die if she doesn't eat.
    Any other suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by