1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silky colors? also, are these black sex-linked cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LoupGarou, May 14, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I received an order of chicks from Ideal today and I couldn't be happier with them. All of them arrived in perfect condition after being in transit for only one day. However, I ordered five silky chicks and one of them seems to be a different color than the others. It is distinctly lighter than the other four, which makes me wonder if it is the partridge color that I ordered. I don't really care if it's a different color or not--but if it is, I'd like to know what it is. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black Sex-Linked? (sorry that the picture isnt' the best)

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Your silkies are all partridge, except that I see one or two (the ones with whitish/greyish down) that may be grey.

That's a duck!

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The black ones are not sexlink chickens. Im guessing they are something else. Sexlinks have yellow legs, some times with blackness over them a little in the front.

4. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Quote:Are you sure? I thought it was a LF Silky! [​IMG]

(Yep, I ordered four Khaki Campbell ducks in the same order--my collie needs something to do! LOL)

Thanks for the insight on the chick colors--there is only one lighter chick--all of the rest appear to be a lovely tan/rust color.

5. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    The top two look like my Red Silkies and the one on the left in the second pic looks like my Gray. The one on the right in the second pic might be a Partridge. Or I guess they could all be Partridge, I have had some hatch out looking silvery and turn out to be Partridge. Mine came last month from Ideal.

My Reds
    [​IMG]
    My Grays
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    If the black ones are not sex links, does anyone know what they are? Sex links are the only ones that even come close to what these chicks look like

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by