Silky ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by seramasoncall, Feb 5, 2015.

1. seramasoncall

seramasoncall Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    Does anyone have silky ducks, ducklings, or hatching eggs for sale?

2. PekinDiaries

PekinDiaries Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you maybe mean Silky chickens? I've had Silkies before, but I havent heard of ducks..

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    There are silky ducks but I belive they are hard to come by. I've only seen them in Storey's Guide to Ducks.

4. seramasoncall

Apr 25, 2014
    Silkie chickens are cuties, but silky ducks are what I'm looking for. I'm building my breeding group, and artificially incubating and successfully hatching these little ones is tough going!

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I believe there are different breeds of silkie ducks, for instance i have seen silkie calls, silkie rouens, and silkie mallards, i have no idea where you could find them though i am just curious of what adventures youll have with the cuties

6. seramasoncall

Apr 25, 2014
    I'm working on the bantam-sized ducks. They're interesting little guys. You need two genes for the silky feathers to show up; only one silky gene makes a duck a carrier. It seems that the very attractive silky-feather characteristic brings along with it challenging incubation requirements.

7. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    I think the bantam sized ones were calls ask @Lacrystol i think she used to own silkie calls

8. seramasoncall

Apr 25, 2014
    Yep--my first silky duck hatchling grew up to be almost exactly the same size as my aussie spotteds--a little bigger than my calls and black east indies, but definitely a pretty little girl. Thanks for the contact info!

9. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    They are
    super cute

10. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I raise silkie calls!

I've got a few places left for this season's orders for hatching eggs and ducklings/juvies if interested

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by