Silky Hen Crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjdent, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jjdent

jjdent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    I just bought what was supposed to be a silky hen a week ago. We've been keeping her in the house in a cage because she's so much smaller than the other chickens in the outdoor flock. (I intend on using her to sit on eggs soon.) She goes outdoors right next to the others in her own separate pen during the day. My question is, did someone lie to me, or do hens sometimes crow? Because this morning "she" woke us by emitting a weird, garbled sound a lot like a crow. And when I came out to watch, "she" made the crow-like noise just the same way my rooster does, by extending her body and arching her neck.

2. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    Also, I heard that silkies don't typically use a coop or roost, but that they sleep and nest on the ground? This one likes sleeping on a roosting bar. I'm wondering how much of an oddity that is.

3. Just Wingin It

Just Wingin It Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    centerville texas
    Please post a photo. Im sure any critter can be a little gender confused, but its likely that someone sold you the wrong sex.

4. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    I contacted the person who sold it to me, but she's seeming (or acting) clueless about the sex or behavior of the animal.

6. Crazy chicken l

Crazy chicken l Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    CT
    You have a rooster. The same thing happened to me. Was told my white silkie was a hen then "Lola" started crowing. I was going to dispatch him but my kids love him and call him "Yeti". He turned out to be the best chicken ever! He rounds everyone up at night to make them go in the coop at night. Right now I have 5 pullets that are 8 weeks old and he sits on them and keeps them warm! Your picture looks just like mine so I think you have a rooster.

7. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    I think the brightly colored things on the side of its face and the very noticeable comb and waddles make him distinct from a picture of a partridge female I saw. Thanks for the input.

8. Just Wingin It

Just Wingin It Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    centerville texas
    I think he looks like a boy. The comb looks similar to my black silkie roos. My silkie roos first started crowing, they sounded like someone stomped on them with an army boot, the most hilarious noise I have ever heard. Then they got much clearer. Hope that helps. Well, he is a pretty chicken anyways. :)

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That is definitely a cockerel.

10. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    Haha. The lady I got him from said her good friend gave it to her, and told her it was a hen that had been laying and had gone broody. She sold me an actual hen to keep him company and sit on some eggs for us. After seeing the hen alongside the roo, I really don't know how she could have gotten it wrong. They look completely different. But, problem solved. Oh, and when he got around the hen, he REALLY started acting like a roo. I guess that morning was his first time crowing. Pretty cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by