1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silky mom just hatched 4, when to put outdoors?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silky ma, Nov 12, 2010.

1. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Okay. First time with new hatchlings this late in the season. Mom been broody since sept, gave up and let her have a clutch.
    4 sweet babes just hatched and are with mom indoors with us because I have to add insullation to the spring/summer broody house.
    Also noticed yesterday we have a large rat running thru the backyard so I need to make sure the brood house is extra secure. So far the baited traps are not catching it.

Heres the problem. Mom was broody too long and her weight is on the lean side. Our sacramento weather is screwy to say the least. Our high temps , have been 60s, are going to be hitting a few days in the 70s before going back down to 60s. Our nites are in the high 30s to low 40s.,.............When is is safe to put mom and babes outdoors? I am feeding mom and babes chick feed, steamed broccoli, shredded carrot, strawberries, red grapes, raw almonds- pulverized in the blender, and when she throws a hugh fit some finely shredded cheese. I will be starting on diced worms and any outdoor bugs I can find today. Any suggestions to help in weight gain? When do I put them outdoors? The main coop is a no go.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You should be able to put them outside as soon as they feather out - 2 to 3 weeks.

They will snuggle momma at night for a while. But once they are feathered they can handle the cold.

You may want to make a heat lamp available for them at first - but it won't take long.

3. wendzgirls

wendzgirls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    [​IMG]I have silkie chicks that are now 2 weeks old. We have temps in the 60-70's during the day and 40-50's at night. I let the hens decide when to take their babies out. Amazingly they are always okay. They usually leave the coop around a week of age and before they have developed any feathers, even if it is cold outside. The hens take care of them and warm them up when needed and round them up at sunset to take them back in the coop. I quit using heat lamps a couple of years ago, deciding to let the hens "do their thing" and have not lost one chick since. Silkies are great moms and all are very family oriented, or at least that is my experience.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree, I would get them in a situation where mama can decide when to go out and when to go in. Give them some wind protection, and let her call it. The sooner they are outside, the healthier they will be, and the thicker the feather coat will be. If you keep them inside, they will have a worse adjustment.

Give them good food. I am not sure if I would give as many treats as you are, I think I would give more chick starter, and some scratch. Scratch is high energy food. If she is low in weight, that is what she needs, not vegetables, except as a treat.

Mrs.K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by