silky mom just hatched 4 when to put outdoors?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silky ma, Nov 12, 2010.

1. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I also posted this in managing your flock....

Okay. First time with new hatchlings this late in the season. Mom been broody since sept, gave up and let her have a clutch.
    4 sweet babes just hatched and are with mom indoors with us because I have to add insullation to the spring/summer broody house. Also noticed yesterday we have a large rat running thru the backyard so I need to make sure the brood house is extra secure. So far the baited traps are not catching it.
    Heres the problem. Mom was broody too long and her weight is on the lean side. Our sacramento weather is screwy to say the least. Our high temps , have been 60s, are going to be hitting a few days in the 70s before going back down to 60s. Our nites are in the high 30s to low 40s.,.............When is is safe to put mom and babes outdoors? I am feeding mom and babes chick feed, steamed broccoli, shredded carrot, strawberries, red grapes, raw almonds- pulverized in the blender, and when she throws a hugh fit some finely shredded cheese. I will be starting on diced worms and any outdoor bugs I can find today. Any suggestions to help in weight gain? When do I put them outdoors? The main coop , with the heat lamps is a no go.
    Will she need a heat lamp in the small broody house till she gains weight?

2. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Hard Boiled Egg, also make sure you throw in some grit.

3. silky ma

Sep 14, 2007
    Grit is mixed into the chick crumbles. Will do the egg.

4. GoneHomeGrown2

GoneHomeGrown2 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same situation with a broody silkie and gave up and let her have a nest. Only got 1 chickout of it, but made her happy. Her coop right now is a larger travel dog craste with the door off and straw floor. Our temps here have been running jut a little lower than yours and water freezing at nights. Mom has been outside through the whole process and both her and baby have been doing great, so I would say take care of the rat problem and let mom get just a little more weight on and you should have no problem. Might be good to take the group out during the day some in the mean time too. Oh and any pictures of the little cutiers?? [​IMG]

5. GoneHomeGrown2

GoneHomeGrown2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oops, I forgot to mention, I am giving a little bit of corn as it brings up their system a little bit for warmth. Not good for weight gain, but once they are outside, a good treat for them.

6. silky ma

Sep 14, 2007
    Was going to put them outdoors during our warm snap..HA HA HA>>>. Here are pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. silky ma

Sep 14, 2007
    This gal of mine--Hope-- is the best mama I have ever had... The only problem is she is on to me and knows that I have the goods in the fridge.. If she could she could she would go to the fridge herself and pick out what she wants!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  8. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Odd double post [​IMG]

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    My Hatchery chicks have been outside all their lives; with no mama. I'm not sure I understand why yours are indoors at all; given they have one of the best mothering breeds I know of.
    Take care [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of my temp makeshift brooder with week old chicks:

[​IMG]

Edited to add: I should note that its been quite warm here; only getting down to the upper 30s (not including wind chill factor). At worst, mid Winter, is rarely gets below the mid-20s here right on the coast of Oregon..

...Missed the part about the brooder renovations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by