Silky- Red Sex Link Cross

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by blueberrysilky, Jul 30, 2015.

1. blueberrysilky

blueberrysilky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2015
    Archdale, NC
    Does anyone have a calculator ( for lack of a better word ) of what the chicken would come out looking like. Or have any of you tried it, I know crossbreed are not desired but I just want to know what it would look like ( and maybe try to incubate a few eggs ). I have a silky rooster and a red sex link hen.

2. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry its taken so long for any response, but the offspring will have normal feathers, not silkie, and would have a small crest, beard, feathered legs and blackish blue skin with a really weird looking comb. It will also be just a bit smaller than a regular sized chicken and lay medium to small eggs. But idk about the color. What color of silkie(s) do you have?

3. blueberrysilky

blueberrysilky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2015
    Archdale, NC
    The timing is just perfect, the eggs are on their 3rd day of incubation. Thoughts are really moving about the offspring, they are white silkies. Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

4. and-roo

I'm thinking the chicks will probably all be white, MAYBE a black one or two, depending on recessive genes and all that... Please post pics once they hatch and possibly when they get older :)

1 person likes this.
  5. and-roo

BTW, that a very pretty rooster :p

6. and-roo

Yeah, so if the rooster's white gene is dominant then I think they'll all be white, but if its not then you'll get half white chicks and half black chicks. If you go to @http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html this is a "chicken calculator" but so far it only works on the color genetics. Its really fun to play around with too

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    actually, the chicken calculator has more than just colour genes. and since most white silkies are recessive, you will get no white offspring. since red sexlinks are a mix of genes, you can't get any prediction there, either.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. and-roo

What do you mean, did they update it or something? I haven't been able to find it where there are more gene traits to mess around with

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
  10. and-roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by