Silky Roos, CT Humane Society

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Miss Sue, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Miss Sue

Miss Sue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    The Connecticut Humane Society in Newington has 6 Silky roosters for adoption. These are the last of a big flock that belonged to someone who passed away. I don't know the ages and colors, but if you call the Humane Society, they'll tell you about them. (I called asking about hens.)

I doubt they ship, but I thought folks in CT might be interested. Newington is near Hartford.

This is the number I called:

1-800-452-0114

Susan

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] why oh why are they always so far from me......?

3. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I was interested in them a while back. But they wanted too much for the birds. They wanted $15 a bird. There reasoning was that the feed store sells them for $50. Then they kept telling me how you the were because they laid eggs.

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I thought they were roos?

5. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

When I was looking at them there were 14 birds.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    That Newington facility is a nice place. You should see the Westport one.
    Both our dogs came from the CT Humane Society.

I didn't know roos laid eggs. That's cool. [​IMG]

7. Miss Sue

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    I give props to the Humane Society for taking in 40 chickens! The six roos were all the Newington shelter had left when I spoke to a manager on the phone last week. (I didn't want a rooster, though.) The chickens originally came in via the Westport shelter, but were taken to other places in the CT Humane Society system, including Newington, who had better facilities for them.

I like the Westport shelter, too. That's the only one I've been to, and the staff has always been friendly and responsive. I just dropped off dog food there last week (from a friend who moved out of state), and casually asked about chickens. That's how I found out about all this!

Roos laying eggs? Y'all are funny. That made me laugh.

Susan

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:They do have some nice people down there. The volunteers are SUPER nice too.
    When we adopted out last dog there a few volunteers kept trying to get us
    to take their favorite dogs. They saw us coming. [​IMG]

9. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    wow, $15.00 seems like a lot!
    i'm sure they are "worth" it but that price would seem to be deterring folks.
    here in la chickens get sprung for around $5.00 - but the shelters will frequently waive the fee just to get the chickens out of the shelter and into good homes.

hmmmmmm.

seems counterproductive for the shelter to be so stubborn about it - especially since the chickens have been there for awhile.

i would suggest someone local write a very calm letter rationally explaining why the shelter might want to consider lowering the adoption fee.

just an idea!

10. Miss Sue

Jul 19, 2007
    Connecticut
    I did not discuss fees with the shelter. That fee of $15 for a rooster is not confirmed, at least by me.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by