silky silkies

raymondjames

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
ok what is up with silkies? i mean if they dont make good eggs and only lay 100~/year, why are they so popular... there not that cute to me if thats why, and if thats why theyre so popular... oh God...

Cool! its just wherever there are chickens, there are silkies... dont get me wrong, theyre fuzzy and nice and unique, just not "cute" to me.

People also show and breed them, and with serious breed/show quality, the prices go up. They are also cute and comical to be around, good broody hens that will hatch not only their eggs, but eggs of other breeds, easy keepers, cute and good with children, and more. This is a breed I swore I'd NEVER have, yet now I have 14...so far! Mine aren't even four months old yet, so I can't tell you how they lay, but these came out of a medium sized egg. An egg is an egg, and mediums/smalls, eat just as well as a large or jumbo, you may just need more.
lol.png
Try some, you may find you can't live without some!

Aww I'm sorry you don't think they are cute
sad.png
I think if you owned one and saw how easy going and laid back they are, plus they are like a lap chicken for kids so they are easy to learn on how to groom, handle, show, and do showmanship with
smile.png

Lastly, They are really good broodies and great at raising their babies. They also will hatch eggs from other breeds and raise those chicks. I have right now a silkie that hatched out 3 LF Araucana chicks 8 wks ago and every night she tucks the babies in her fluffy plumage and under her wings for warmth, love, and comfort.

Hope this helps
smile.png

Quote:

They also don't eat as much feed as a standard sized fowl. They are the biggest of the banatms, but are quiet, sweet and funny to watch. Even my rooster is much more friendly than other rooster breeds. Oh and other chickens don't seem to pick on them as much as other breeds.

I still wonder if my 10 other chickens even know that they are a chicken at all, and not some fluffy creature eating the same food as them! I added an 8 week old hen in with my flock (alone) and only ONE seemed to notice her. She forgot about her after 10 minutes.

Consider getting a silkie. They are also a good conversation piece!

Everyone has their own likes and opinions. I don't care for labrador retrievers--see nothing to recommend them. Ditto for golden retrievers. But many, many people like them. In general I don't care for large dogs. My opinion works for me, but it would not match for others. I don't care for "modern" or "contemporary" styled homes or furnishings--much to sterile, utilitarian and impersonal for me--give me something rich and deep that looks like its graced homes for hundreds of years. It's the same with chickens: I have certain breeds and characteristics I like and others have breeds and characteristics they are fond of. Don't give me leghorns or RIR (large fowl), and I happily keep my silkies where they are wanted.

Quote:
A breeds "popularity" isn't just based on how many eggs they lay. Silkies have great personalities and are all around good show/exhibition birds. MANY breeds don't lay a whole lot yet they are still popular.

Back
Top Bottom