1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silky with a skin problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abengel, Nov 18, 2011.

1. abengel

abengel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Long Island
    My partridge silkie pullet has a slowly growing bald spot on her crest, started out looking like feathers were broken off, but now just bald and scaly. It's been almost 2 months and no new growth at all. No roos and nobody is pecking her, and no other chickens affected. Flock is treated with ivermectin pour-on regularly. Not an emergency but would appreciate some input... Thanks!

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Are you using something for lice? Check the vent to see if there are creepy crawly bugs there. Even if not I would reccommend you check out Sevin dust.

3. abengel

abengel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Long Island
    I haven't seen any sign of bugs, but the ivermectin is supposed to take care of that I heard. Should they be dusted as well? Would pymethrin be as good? I'm sensitive to chemicals..Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by