Silky with the runs!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chilman, Feb 16, 2012.

1. chilman

chilman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    My poor little Dumpling (the blond) still has the runs and I can't figure out why. Her water is changed daily, she does not get any special treats other than yogurt and maybe some bread. We have changed her food from crumbles to laying pellets. We have given her vinegar water and I have just given her some sulmet water. She has had the runs for a while and we thought she was getting better but apparently not. She is laying eggs with no problem, eats, drinks and her behavior appears normal. the only greens that she is getting is grass from the yard. She does not get mites or lice because she is bathed frequently and then dried with a hairdryer. Today her hinny is just a mess!!!

Her poop is just liquid; sometimes clear and sometimes colored . You pick her up and she poops, you look at her and she poops. she is used to being held so it is not that she is scared Any suggestions, directions, inputs, etc would be greatly appreciated. We are city girls with a chicken and don't know what to do!

2. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Shot in the dark here, but you could try some boiled or baked sweet potato which you then mash up. It works for people and dogs with diarrhea.

3. chilman

chilman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    thanks...I'll give it a try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by