Silky woes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dutchieeee, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Dutchieeee

Dutchieeee New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Hi all,
    I've got 2 silkies, one definitely a hen as we are getting lovely little eggs :) However, we don't know which of our silkies is laying. We thinks it's Charlie....who is now spending all of 'her' time in her nesting box, sitting on eggs. When I get 'her' out, she will happily runs around with the other chooks & eat & drink but then goes straight back to the box & will stay in there 24/7. I was suggested that maybe my other silky is in fact a rooster & Charlie is trying to hatch the eggs?? Is this a possibility? I can't tell the difference on their sexes....Maxine/Max doesn't crow, that I know of anyway. I'll try & take some pictures to see of your experts can tell?? What else could be wrong with Charlie? She doesn't seem to be egg bound..... Help please!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Try and get some pictures of Max/Maxine, and maybe people can give you an idea if it is Max or Maxine. A hen will go broody with or without a rooster in residence. Being a silkie which is a really really broody breed, it is quite probable Charlie is broody from what you are describing of her behavior.

3. Dutchieeee

Dutchieeee New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks kelsie. I'll try & get some pics tonight :) Apparenty she's up walking around today.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by