SilkyAmericauna gene chicks...male or female?

MammasBabies

Songster
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Got some eggs hoping to get a silkied ameraucana...these have the gene, but not the silky. Anyway I love ameraucanas, so that is ok. But do not know the signs of male / female with this breed. Anyone??

First is Twilight: A little under 3 weeks old.

and here is a picture of Twilight's body/wings

Next is Luna...same age.

Luna's body/wings

and last, but not least is Sunshine...same age.

Sunshine full body shot

Last edited:
These are all to young to tell sex's. I dont mean to sound rude or anything but do you mean these are silkie x ameraucana's? If so i would say they have no silkie blood in them. They all seem to be easter eggers to me. An ameraucana has to fall under certian specifics to classify as on. Hatcherys and them sell EE's (easter eggers) as ameraucana's but they are. Sorry if this came off rude. =( didn't mean to.

there's people working with silkie feathered ameraucanas, I think that's what was meant there's a neat thread about it called whats wrong with their feathers, it's rather long

These are all to young to tell sex's. I dont mean to sound rude or anything but do you mean these are silkie x ameraucana's? If so i would say they have no silkie blood in them. They all seem to be easter eggers to me. An ameraucana has to fall under certian specifics to classify as on. Hatcherys and them sell EE's (easter eggers) as ameraucana's but they are. Sorry if this came off rude. =( didn't mean to.
Yeah there is a thread on here about Ameraucanas with silky feathers. If they didn't have the fluffy feathers, they would fit into the Ameraucana standard from what I understand.

Either way, none of these chicks look to have any silkie feathering as of yet.

OP: Where did you buy the eggs? On here? Was it from the original breeder?

ok....this probably should have gone on the "What's wrong with their feathers" thread. They are from ChooksChicks in Ohio. None of them are going to be "silkie feathered", but they do come from that genetic stock. Thanks for taking the time to post.

OOOH im so out of the blue with ameraucanas now i guess. LOL ill have to go look that up and read about it. Didn't know. =/

Back
Top Bottom