Silliest thing you've done for your chickens...I'll start...

Here chickie chickie!

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Ok....laugh if you must but this is probably the silliest thing anyone has ever done to feed their chicken obsession....
Our coop is done and I'm anxious to get the girls out there to try it out. The husband is playing golf and won't be home until the afternoon so I decide to take matters into my own hands and go fetch two bales of straw for the floor of the coop. Smart, your thinking; resourceful you might even add...well, the problem was that I was driving a convertible. I thought, no problem, I'll put the top down, put the bales in the back and drive slowly back home. Within a 1/2 mile, I was covered with straw and looked like a scare crow! I should have known better when I saw the feed store employees laughing at me as I drove off the lot. Luckily, I made it home with the straw and had enough time to quickly vaccuum out my car before the husband returned. There was straw in every crack and crevice of my car and all over my clothes and hair! Anyone else got a silly story they're willing to share?
lau.gif

Well, my husband and I had a 30 minute serious conversation in Walmart during the June heat wave about buying a small $99 air conditioner for the coop.
We are in SE PA. ,not exactly the hot spot of the USA. He wanted to cut a hole in the coop and mount it like a wall unit and run an additional cord for power.
I am currently using a fan and lock them up in a tree shaded during the days.
The issue is I will not go away for weekends knowing it's hot and they will be locked up. 95-100 degrees outside is still 95-100 inside.
The discussion then turned to a heat/AC unit.....to cover winter & summer.
I didn't want the coop cut and would worry about the a/c running while away, so I nixed the whole thing.

He's in Knoxville, TN , staying at the Mariott, dining & visiting and going to a show this weekend and I'm home with the silkies..

Hmmmmm

brenda

I only have a few bantams and they're pets, so....

Last winter I picked up each one and ferried it individually into our attached garage on cold nights so they could sleep more comfortably in pine shaving filled dog crates. Then in the morning, I ferried each one individually out to their coop and run.

Now that it's so hot, I let my hens lay indoors in air conditioned comfort. When I spot one of the girls looking for a nestbox, I bring her in. When she's done laying, I bring her back outdoors.

My husband thinks I'm completely nuts. He has a point.

Well, my chickens are only 12 weeks old and I want my rooster Bubba to be kind and not mean to the hens. Now he's getting an influx of hormones and he will grab a pullet by her hackles and drag her around. I run after him, grab him and turn him upside down (like you cradle a baby in your arms). I won't let him go until he settles down, then I kiss him on the head and set him down again.

And if you tell anyone I'll deny the whole thing!!
wink.png

Straw bales in the convertible!! OMG....was there any left when you got home???
gig.gif
lau.gif
My DH would have killed me if I did that in our convertible!!!
ep.gif

Silliest thing I've done is make them french toast! They loved it!!
droolin.gif

Well, the straw in the convertible takes the cake, for sure
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I'll share...

When I picked up the RIR flock, well, um, didn't want then roasting in the bed of the truck, on a 100+ day, for the hour drive home. So, I put the cage in the back seat of the truck (did I mention we have leather seats?!
ep.gif
) and put 5 hens and the Roo in there to ride home
gig.gif
Not only were they smushed together like marshmallows, they were hawt! SO, what did I do? CRANK THAT AC!!! Thought I was gonna freeeeeeze by the time they stopped panting and holding thier wings out.. but they had a nice, cozy ride to our place
D.gif
D.gif
The poor kids even had to get out the blankets and cover up
gig.gif

On another note, I'm so glad the back windows are tinted, or I'm sure we woulda got some odd looks on the way home
gig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I put in a goose story?

I recently got 4 toulouse geese (adults and 1 subadult) so that Archie the goose wouldn't be lonely. I usually drive our old "farm van" (think minivan with no back seats- great for hay/feed/critters in plastic dog kennels) to get the farm stuff but it's power steering had quit. Since I didn't have the van accessible, I used our car. Couldn't fit a large enough dog kennel in the back seat so mom and I used a HUGE new tarp to completely cover everything and put the geese back there. Figured we'd be fine since it was only about 10 or so miles.

Did you know that geese poop ALOT when they are scared and that goose poop STINKS and that it is really runny when scared? So 4 geese pooping liquidish scaredy poops onto a tarp meant that mom and I were in the front gagging and everytime I went around a corner the geese would slide from one side of the car to the other. Think a goose slip-n-slide only with poo instead of water. SO NASTY. So we unroll the front windows and crank the ac and crack the back windows. Helped a bit with the smell but then we started having little downy feathers flying around in the car. Of course I forgot to get a bag of feed BEFORE going to get the geese so we have to stop at the feed store with the geese in the backseat. I'm pretty sure I lost all respect from the real farmers that day. I know the gentlemen at the feedstore had a huge laugh at my expense. Mom stayed in the car with the geese while I went in and the geese were so loud that everyone in a 5 mile radius had to have heard them. Geese were really upset by the time we hit the red light so they started hissing at us but thank god they didn't start trying to attack us or anything. By this point mom is dry heaving in the passenger seat so I drop her off at her house so I didn't have to smell THAT on top of poo and I take them home as fast as I can.

Even though the tarp contained all the poo, I still had to shampoo the car twice and use a whole bottle of febreeze to get the smell out.

Only my no chicken friends and neighbors think this is silly.
I have a barred rock hen named Sweetie....................she follows me in the barn everyday until I
pick her up and carry her around...about 5 minutes does it.then she's happy and off she goes...........
I love her:hugs

Back
Top Bottom