1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly Chick Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by microchick, Mar 18, 2015.

1. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Boy, this has got to be some sort of record.

I noticed this morning that one of our Welsummer chicks that we brought home last night was pecking and pulling at her own left wing pinfeathers (she is 5 days old today) hard enough that she has it bloody. I can't see any wound on the wing itself. It all looks like it is coming from the newly erupting pin feathers.

We got her out and cleaned up the feather with peroxide to get the blood off of it and put it back with her brooder mates. No active bleeding noted but the silly thing immediately began pulling at her own wing feathers again. So we pulled her out and cleaned it up again.

I know these things have got to be uncomfortable coming in and she is in a rotten mood. The minute she rejoined her companions she began pecking at anyone who came near her. Do I need to get some blue cote if this keeps up or should we proceed as we have, keeping her clean and hoping that she works through the new feather coming in. I haven't noticed anyone picking at her. She seems to be doing it all to herself so separating her isn't going to do a bit of good. None of the other chicks seem to be bothered by those funny things on their wings, just this one little girl.

Always a problem child in the bunch. Guess she is looking at being called 'Trouble'.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Do you have some Neosporin or some hydrocortisone? I have no idea why this is happening, but I amwondering whether something about the area isn't hurting or itching her, making her go after it. Just a thought....

3. microchick

Are you kidding, I'm a retired nurse. I have a virtual hospital of supplies around the house including the mentioned items, LOL!Everything except blu cote, naturally.

That's the way it looks to me also. She grabs the wing feathers, pulls till it hurts, squeals and lets go of it before starting to chase her friends around.

I'll try cleaning it again and putting on some antibiotic ointment with anesthetic. Thanks Judy.

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Haha, retired nurse here, too. You don't need any advice from me!!!

5. microchick

Hey! Great!

I told my husband that if I could put a little cone of shame on her like we do the dogs when they have an injury it would be perfect! It's like, Hey stupid if it hurts, don't make it hurt more!

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wow, I wonder if one of those cones could be rigged on a chick.... maybe made of cardboard....

7. microchick

My husband suggested making one out of paper, just a little cone that could be taped on.

I've separated her from mates by sitting a mesh basket from an old paper shredder in the brooder, adding pine shavings along with food and water and coated the wing with petroleum jelly. The vasoline has to sooth it and she doesn't like it one bit. Not a happy camper at the moment. She can see the other chicks but wants out NOW! Such a little bossy boots. I see her as alpha hen someday. Not nearly as laid back as the others. She has spunk and I like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by