Silly chicken people!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jul 4, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Another neighbor, also a grower for a major poultry company that shall remain nameless (starts with a T), stopped by to buy some eggs this evening.
    DH was telling her about all the fun that goes on when I feed my chicks crickets.
    She told us that the Big T insist that their growers do everything possible to eradicate crickets on their property and especially in the chicken houses. The Big T says that crickets will give your chickens diseases. [​IMG]

Apparently I have the world's healthiest disease-ridden chicks because they live for their daily crickets. [​IMG]

Still can't get my head around it. Feeding chickens food that comes natural to them is not good for them. [​IMG]

Just thought I'd share.
  2. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    [​IMG] that does not seem to make any sense!
  3. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    That is because their chickens are raised in such a sterile environment that they have no immune system. One person sneezes and the whole flock is dead in 24 hours.
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's about the truth of it. [​IMG]
  5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Yeah, I've also read that earthworms can give your chickens terrible parasites. It may be true, but I'd rather have chickens that can handle the real world...

I understand why they have to do it. If you're going to make the choice to raise chickens in such a crowded way, then you'd better be paranoid about diseases, etc. because otherwise you will lose them all.

I know people gotta eat, and I know that not everyone can have chickens in their yard, but it still makes me sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by