Silly chickens ATE FOAM - what will happen to them???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykat01, Dec 12, 2011.

1. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    I arrived home today to find that despite a few hundred square metres of grass, a full feed container, and a plate full of kitchen scraps my silly girls had decided to eat FOAM off the legs of our trampoline. The foam is similar in texture to a 'pool noodle', and they have pecked off numerous chunks. Some is on the ground, but there is quite a bit missing.

What will happen to them? Am I facing impacted crops or worse? [​IMG]
    Can anyone think of a way I can help them break down or 'digest' the foam?

Very greatful for all responses, thankyou!

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I think your chickens will be okay...my girls once ate one of those styrafoam fawcet covers you are supposed to put on the house for cold weather...they ate the entire thing...for some reason, chickens really seem to like the texture of foams...just watch them carefully...you may give them some olive oil to help it slip down easier? Im not sure.

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:And it to shall pass [​IMG] Don't worry

4. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Thankyou for your replies!

I guess I will spend tomorrow scooping blue poops off the lawn.......makes a change from the half a dozen other colours I usually find [​IMG]

5. elena2552

elena2552 New Egg

Sep 17, 2016
    Don't eat the eggs for a week after the chicken consumes something that's not food. They can contain toxins. After a week it should be all good to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by