Silly Chickens - doing what they were taught...

Smorz

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
So we built a new run and added it on to the old coop. All we had left were 2 roosters from the old flock. They had been alone for quite some time so we didn't want to just throw them all together so we locked the girls into the run and would let the boys out the front side of the coop. We left it that way for a month. Then let everyone play together. All is well on that front... BUT . . . the girls wont coop up now. They think they are supposed to roost in the run. They return to the run after free-ranging... but they won't enter the coop. How do I get them to change this train of thought?

I have 2 roosts for them in the run. Hubs said take them out. I think that's a good idea - for a start. I just don't think that will make them say "Hey, the coop has roosts! Let's go!" Or will it?

I left the door open to the coop so it would be nice and light in there while they were coming in at dusk. I attached a little light to help it be light enough to see in case they wanted to come in from the run. But no takers. Funny thing is, they will go in there during the day - I suppose because it is hot.

Anyone with a Chicken Psych 101 degree? What's a mom to do??? Thanks!

They won't go into the coop just because you take the roosters out of the run. They are conditioned to sleeping out there now, so you need to recondition them. Maybe try physically putting them in the coop every evening and then shutting the door for a few nights.

Well hector. I was kinda thinking that might have to happen. Oh boy... ;) I actually tried that once. As soon as I moved them into the coop they ran right back out. I guess I can get hubs to guard the door on the inside of the coop and block the exit while I get the next. So funny learning about birds. :) Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom