Silly chickens - I cleaned their coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gryeyes, Dec 12, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And the darned things decided it was so different with totally new shavings (and DE), instead of just adding more, that they tried to roost on the coop roof.

These are 18 week old birds, two roosters and two pullets. There used to be two more pullets in that Gang of Seven, but those girls got new homes last Sunday. (I was sad to give them up, but I must thin the herd, since I am addicted to hatching!)

I gathered them up and put them inside the attached run; they climbed the ladder to the coop/sleeping quarters after the initial squawking.

That coop is pretty small for them all, but they only sleep in there - they range freely the rest of the time. It's roomier with 2 less chickens.

Just funny that FRESH litter spooked them!

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I don't have birds, yet, but I've heard that it's the little things that will put the birds in a tiff. Just 4.5 months until I get my little bundles of joy and amusement...

3. cottage19

cottage19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Eastern PA
    They never cease to amaze me and you never know what they will or will not do next. Last week we had a dusting (less than 1/2 inch) of snow and the silly things would not come out of the barn - all 7 of them standing in the doorway having a summit meeting about this strange stuff on the ground. Today it is pouring - not raining...POURING...and they are all out wading in the puddles and pecking in the mud...[​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Their probably use to the rain but not the white rain. I'd be scared if it snowed here as well as the chickens.

5. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Quote:Their probably use to the rain but not the white rain. I'd be scared if it snowed here as well as the chickens.

Snow here in TX is a scary event. All the immigrants from the North think they still remember how to drive in snow and [​IMG] The quicker I can get off the roads the better. I live in Texoma so we do get a little bit a couple times a year, but for most of TX snow is a major meteorological trauma.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  6. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    My silly chicken was terrified of my purple leather gloves. I reached out to touch her wearing my gloves and she flew up with her feet in the air, like, "what the heck is that?". It was rather amusing.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine can't deal with coop cleanings either. They stand at the auto door, afraid to go in. I just start shoving. After they are on it overnight they're okay with it.

Said it before and I'll say it again....chickens are weird. [​IMG]

8. dragonflydreamsfarm

dragonflydreamsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Northeast TN
    We cleaned out our coop yesterday too. I had to do some work with the electrical to get fish tank heaters in the nipple buckets and while I was at it I added a much deeper layer of shavings. We'd let them out while working in there and they just wouldn't go back in. They are Blue Andelusians and fly well so our run is totally covered. We ended up having to catch them one at a time and throw them in the coop and get the door shut quickly. We actually had one fly up onto the fence in front of the coop door and then fly up to the top of the roof of the building. Catching 16 chickens is just no fun.

9. cottage19

cottage19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Eastern PA

Snow here in TX is a scary event. All the immigrants from the North think they still remember how to drive in snow and [​IMG] The quicker I can get off the roads the better. I live in Texoma so we do get a little bit a couple times a year, but for most of TX snow is a major meteorological trauma.

They better get used to the snow and FAST - winter here in Eastern PA usually means S-N-O-W whether you like it or not! [​IMG]

10. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have an ameraucana who loves when I clean the coop. She comes from wherever she is to investigate and immediately goes to work making her new nest. Then the other girls come in to see what she's up to and cluck around happily. She even came running from the front of the yard today...a good 200 feet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by