Silly chickens-they seem to think the dog is bringing them treats

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Feb 22, 2012.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

When I go out to the chickens the dog is with me every time. So when I'm throwing them veggies or scratch or whatever, she's right there next to me. Every time. (note-our chickens are in a run and I just throw stuff in from outside the run so the dog is also outside the run). So today dh is back there loading the truck with grain. He's up on top of the trailer where the chickens aren't paying attention to him and they are contentedly pecking around on the ground. The dog has her toy and runs over to the run (she thinks everyone wants to throw her ball, even the chickens) and every one of them is suddenly legging it over to where she is, crowding the fence. Apparently they think she has a lot to do with the grain showers they get. :lau

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I love it!

If my 8 RIRs are free ranging in the backyard, they come running as soon as the backdoor opens.

Those chicks sure do remember where the treats come from.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    So I am not the only one that has starving chickens? At least that's what they try to lead everyone to believe. Whether I have treats or not,it's panic time. Frantic does not even come close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by