silly chickies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by s6bee, Jul 19, 2007.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    well i was just wondering what some of your chickies or chickens do that is silly, like, when i type, my chicks watch the screen or peck the screen!!!! I also have this freckle on my hand, they think is food, so every time i hold one, they will peck my freckle!!

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    well, ma chickens are as silly as yours...i have a big dot on my hand, i dont know if it's a mole or something, but, when im spreading ma hands out, they will start to peck it...[​IMG][​IMG]

3. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    exactly like mine! it was so funny, when i was typing before, they kept trying to get off the desk, so i had to hold her and type, and so she kept on pecking at the spot, and now, all around the spot, it's red! and they just learned how to scratch yesterday, there only 5 days old, and so they look like there doing the moon walk![​IMG]

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Mine peck at stuff that hurts....scabs (hey I'm a southern girl), bug bites, toes...ect. It's cute when they're little but then they get bigger and they peck harder. I almost had my wedding ring ripped off my finger this morning. [​IMG]

5. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    My gals did that when they were chicks. They were always pecking at my toes and the keyboard when I was typing.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    When i squat down taking pictures in the coop, mine all pick at the levi tag on my back pocket. Always a surprise [​IMG]

7. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Mine peck at any spot they see too, or jewelry. Or the cats eyes. I don't want them to get close enough to MY eyes to see a shine on them.

I have also had them jump on my head or shoulder when they are upset and I canNOT get them off, LOL. Fortunately no poo-ing on the head. Yet.

What I think is funny is that when I bring them a treat, they all mob around me. The first one to get some of the treat runs off squealing that she has it. Everyone else of course chases her. Few of them will take a treat that is just HANDED to them. No, they want to STEAL it from someone else.

And the someone who has the treat, if they really wanted to EAT it, wouldn't they just quietly do so? They'd rather squeal about it and have everyone else try to snatch it. I think they have more fun being chased than eating.

Except one RIR. I think she's a bit smarter. When she gets a treat, she heads for the corner, very quietly, and stands with her back to everyone and eats it. Given usual chicken behavior, maybe SHE's the silly one.

trish

8. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Oh, and speaking of that lurky ...

When I squat down to do anything with the chicks, one of my ducks (the one who doesn't seem to like the chicks) comes over and bites me on the backside. Fortunately ducks can't bite hard, lol. (Or at least mine never do.)

trish

9. s6bee

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Mine do the same thing, whenever we kill the flies that get into the house, (they arent' outside yet) they always squeal and everyone runs after them, and only one, evana, will hide in the corner, it's sooooooo funny to watch, lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by