Silly chicks won't leave the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilbirdee, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    My 7 girls are 6 1/2 weeks old. It's finally sunny and warm out and they WON'T go out of the coop. I have grabbed one at a time and tossed them out the door (has to toss them all back in too) for 2 days now and And when they were out in their run they pretty much huddled in the corner in the shade instead of going out in the sun. The door has been open since this morning and they just stay inside. I tried putting food & water out there.
    Any ideas?

2. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    They will go out when they are ready. It's just soooo new to them..it will take them a few days.

3. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Well this is day 3 and I'm still doing the grab & toss. They did all go back in by themselves yesterday but after being out for only a short time. Today they have been out most of the day and the sun is starting to go down. So we'll see if they go in again. Hopefully tomorrow they will go out with out assistance.
    I can't get over the joyous emotion that I feel just watching them in their run. They are digging little holes and eating big ants and flapping & running and practicing being hens. They actually are starting to look like real chickens.[​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    just give them some time when they get used to it you will say,: Oh my God how can I let them go to sleep [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    My silkies have never had the nerve to go outside, they have access, they just prefer to stay in. I let them do what they want:>)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by