Silly duck question

Newchickadee30

Songster
Mar 20, 2020
I’m brand new to ducks so don’t mind my silly question here.
We just got our first ducks, 6 Muscovy hens. They came from our neighbours, neighbours up at their lake. So all I know about them is that the 4 younger hens were hatched this spring/summer, by the other two hens. They all are the same size, but that’s all I know about their ages.
Anyways it’s been 3 weeks and we have yet to see an egg. When I asked my neighbours they told me that they will only lay eggs when they want to brood them. Is that true? Seems odd to me, but I’m use to only chickens and not ducks.
Thanks

I’m brand new to ducks so don’t mind my silly question here.
We just got our first ducks, 6 Muscovy hens. They came from our neighbours, neighbours up at their lake. So all I know about them is that the 4 younger hens were hatched this spring/summer, by the other two hens. They all are the same size, but that’s all I know about their ages.
Anyways it’s been 3 weeks and we have yet to see an egg. When I asked my neighbours they told me that they will only lay eggs when they want to brood them. Is that true? Seems odd to me, but I’m use to only chickens and not ducks.
Thanks
Generally whenever they move they will stop laying for a bit, but my muscovy are not currently laying. They are done for the year. They might lay a little bit here and there throughout winter, but nothing consistent - and that only happened when mine were younger.

It may be getting a little late in the season for them to lay eggs. Muscovy definitely love to sit and hatch eggs, and they are good at finding hiding spots to stash their eggs away if they aren't completely confined to a run, but if you can find the eggs to collect every day then they will lay a decent number for you.

Back
Top Bottom