Silly ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mojo Chick'n, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

We just had this really bad rain storm pass through - I knew it was coming, got the chickens all inside, got two of the call ducks inside, three refused to go in (we have high winds, gusts up over 60 MPH) the rain is about passed, but the winds are still going.

It is still raining a bit though - I just looked outside, and those three ducks are out there swimming, playing in the mud, happy as larks.

I hope I can convince them to go in to bed tonight [​IMG]

btw - they had shelter options, just were shut out of the "coop". I have a doghouse (duckhouse) out there, and they have the barn, the garage, etc... lots of shelter - they just chose to stay out and play in the storm.

This storm took shingles off my roof, it blew all my recyclables all over the back yard, it has caused more power outages around the area (not us) - the ducks love it.

I guess I need more ducks, eh? if they can weather a storm and be this pleased about it, then I definately need more of them.

The chickens, on the other hand, ran for the coop while this was all brewing - started to get dark and they went for cover (thankfully. usually I have to coax them inside).

The only chicken who didn't want to go in right off was my rooster, George - because he didn't see the other two ducks I had in the next coop - they are part of "his" flock, in his opinion, and he didn't want to go inside without them [​IMG] He kept running down to the end of the building and looking into the woods for them - I finally convinced him they were inside, and he went on in. (incidently, he doesn't care for the other three who stayed outside - they aren't as friendly to the chickens as the two he has in his coop.)

So, I guess next time the storms are coming, I don't need to worry about those little ducks at all.

meri

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    What a bunch of sillies! George must be a sweetie roo! Awwww!

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:He is [​IMG] and pretty too - he's an old english game (large fowl).

I've never seen a rooster take such good care of his girls - even if they look like some really ugly hens (the ducks) [​IMG] .

meri

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My ducks are not affected by the weather at all. Even my 2 pekin 'babies', Toot and Puddle, did not go inside when the rain started. They are about 7 weeks old, so temp wise they could take it. They did seem a bit freaked by the water coming down on them, but they loved the mud it made! Much easier to dig for bugs that way! [​IMG] Ducks are the silliest creatures, and I love them to death! [​IMG]

5. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I can't wait to get mine! [​IMG] George must think they are the most gorgeous girls in the whole universe! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by