1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly hen PLANNING to go broody??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmin'chick, Jan 14, 2010.

1. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I have a silly little white cochin bantam hen named Salt. Last year she successfully brooded a clutch of Light Brahma LF eggs with her tiny buddy, Pepper ( a mottled cochin bantam). Yesterday, I noticed she had started to lay eggs again and had her eggs buried deep in the hay that lines the bottom of their hanging pen. So I gave her 3 more to make a clutch of six, thinking she was ready to brood. Well, she has all the eggs tucked carefully down in the hay. She checks them often during the day, and calls her friends over to sleep near her at night (she's in a cage with 5 others), so the eggs won't freeze, but she's not actually BROODING them yet.

I have never heard of a hen planning ahead like that, and actively keeping the eggs warm enough (not to freeze) but cool enough not to start incubating...Is she unique, or has anyone else observed this?

2. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I have an OEGB hen that is doing the exact same thing! But I have no idea what she is actually trying to do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by