Silly hens won't go on the new sand!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msjones, Oct 31, 2009.

1. msjones

msjones Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    So, I finally got the right kind of sand in the run. Scraped out the old, stinky wet stuff, dragged in the new stuff with the bigger particles. Spread it all out -- got all dusty and dirty. The run was so fresh and lovely, and I was so happy to have it done.

I put the girls back in so I could go trick-or-treating, and they would NOT walk on that new sand. Took me 10 minutes to lure them in through the back door to the run. The back part of the run doesn't have the new sand since it didn't get soaked in the rains. They seem determined to stay put in the part of the run with old sand. They wouldn't even walk over the new sand to get to bread or sunflower seeds -- their favorite treats!

I'm sure they'll eventually come on over, but I was so surprised. Have you seen this kind of behavior before?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last year mine wouldn't walk on snow. I eventually shoveled paths around the backyard so they'd at least get out.

Imp- who's training who here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by