Silly Husband roosters are for eating!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by nstilwater, Dec 7, 2011.

1. nstilwater

nstilwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I just walked into the garage with a rooster under my arm and asked my husband for an ax.....he looked up with a totally blank look on his face and asked "What in the world would you need an ax for?" I lifted the rooster up to show him and he responded with "Why are you gonna kill him?" I responded with "So we can eat him for dinner!" why else would i want an ax! after raising chickens for a year and a half and eating all the roosters except for two used for breeding he still is shocked everytime i butcher one! better get used to it with the new reports by the FDA on the arsenic content of factory raised chicken!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've been wanting to learn to process chickens....My husband INSISTS I will hate it.......I think I can handle it if I just have everything ready.......Table, hot water for scalding, hose, trash can for the icky stuff......Rubber gloves.......Sharp knives.....I've done alot of research......I think I truly could do it......

Do you have any tips that help you process?

Sharon

3. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Maybe he likes the birds? My boyfriend had a turkey that lived a year longer than he was supposed to. I was teasing him that he'd become attached to the tom (and I think it was true!) That bird ended up passing away of natural causes, and not an axe. However, I may get to help do the other one in this week, which will be interesting as it's my first time :\\

4. nstilwater

Oct 16, 2011
    Quote:I do mine the same way we did when i was a kid i never researched it. i was raised on a farm so the whole killing and gutting thing just comes natural to me. it may sound cruel but it is easy cause id rather eat a chicken that lived a VERY happy life (our chickens even have names and get held all the time very spoiled} than a factory raised chicken and once ive made the decisison which one im gonna eat i look at it like food not pet. we also dont pluck ours. i find it very time consuming and annoying i can skin it quicker. besides who need the extra fat.

5. nstilwater

Oct 16, 2011
    Quote:hes not attached to the birds. he was raised on a farm also. i think hes just shocked that i am so non emotional about it. food is food and thats what we have the chickens for. if your unlucky enough to be a rooster hatched around here you live a short yet happy life. He just cant beleive i can do it all. I also shock and amaze him when hunting season comes around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by