Silly little barred cochin...is she doing what i think?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsengeseth, Dec 28, 2008.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, I got a new-to-me cochin recently. She's cute and happy and a little fluffy butt. Like she's wearing pantaloons. We named her Emily. She seems like an Emily to me.

When I pet her, she squats low and slightly spreads her wings out. And she sways a little. Almost like a little drunk with her wings out for stability. What is she doing?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She is ready to be bred by a roo and should be laying eggs either now or soon.

3. mrsengeseth

that's what I thought her little display was all about. But I didn't want to get my hopes up that she could be laying soon. Also she is a talker. yak, yak, cluck, cluck, cluck, Bruuuuuucckkk, brrrruuuuuccckkkk. The other three aren't really...chatty. Is it her breed or just her presonality? She's a bantam barred cochin.

4. mrsengeseth

anyone? are your cochins chatty? are bantams more chatty??

5. chikkinlittlesc

chikkinlittlesc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    South Carolina
    I raise Bantam and Standard Cochins. They are very chatty birds. I talk to them and they talk back. I know it sounds crazy, but yes, I talk to my chickens all the time! [​IMG]

I have young pullets that are doing that when I pet them. They are getting ready to breed and lay. When the rooster approaches them, they squat for him to breed them. Silly chickens!!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. mrsengeseth

She musta taught my two EE's They are doing it now too. MY RIR doesn't really. Or maybe the EE's were doing it and i didn't notice.

7. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Banty cochins love to talk and get in the last word.[​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh that is sweet that she talks to you. I have two standard cochins...one is very quiet and the other just talk talk talk talk as soon as she sees me.

Enjoy Emily...you will love her too pieces....cochins grow on your fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by