Silly old-timer question!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, May 10, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Maybe I'd feel better if I was a newbie asking this question. [​IMG]

Would you eat fertilized eggs that a succession of hens has sat on steadily for over 24 hrs.?

Lil' Bit sat on some(?) eggs from before 9 AM yesterday until 6:30 PM. When I noticed that she was finally off the nest, I went in to collect them and found Maggie sitting on them. Later, I went to lock them up for the night and Maggie was still on them so I left her alone. When I opened the coop this morning, Maggie is off that nest and now Bluey is sitting on them! All of these hens hiss and bite (bite! not peck) when I try to look under them, so I've left them alone. I could just put on gloves and remove the eggs, but not sure if I should since I do want a broody.

If Bluey gets off that nest sometime today and one of her sisters doesn't jump right on them, should I keep the eggs for eating or selling or feed them to the dog?

I have always felt that letting a broody hatch youngin's was the best way, but now I'm really starting to see the value of a bator. Half broody hens can be a pain in the tail feathers! [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'd throw them, only because they've been kept warm for an extended period of time.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would not have a problem for 12 hours, but over that, I certainly would not sell them. If you want to use them yourself, try cracking them in a separate bowl and look. You should be able to see if there is anything there that might disturb you. If they look OK, use them.

I still think you need to get the incubator and use it. Once your Brahmas see you don't need them to go broody, they will.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, that's what I'm afraid of. The brinsea bator will be ordered as soon as we get back to normal after the wedding. [​IMG]

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'd eat 'em. Might not sell 'em, but I'd eat 'em.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Purple Chicken started a thread about this last night. I think the conclusion was it was OK. Personally I don't know, but you could think of them as rare Balut.

Imp-You could be inventing the latest food rage.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm not the squeamish type, but I think I'll stick with the old standby of scrambled eggs and bacon, tyvm. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Now it's the broody three step! Bluey is off the nest and Lil' Bit is back on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    If only set on for 24 hours you may have a large Bullseye, but nothing that should be distrurbing. I always say if in doubt feed it to the kids, if they dont get sick, it should be safe for me the next time. [​IMG]

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Yep, that's what I'm afraid of. The brinsea bator will be ordered as soon as we get back to normal after the wedding. [​IMG]

Didnt you register at TSC, maybe it will come as a wedding gift. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by