Silly Q, but--all heavies assortment??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BBUTTER, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BBUTTER

BBUTTER Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    So, I've always ordered straight runs and never had a flock of all males. I'm thinking of ordering the All Heavies Assortment from Murray McMurray (all males of heavy breeds) because it just sounds fun. Will I have problems with them fighting at less than 20 weeks? I don't want to order a bunch that will kill each other! I plan to keep them in groups of 15-25, if that's okay.

The other option is to get the Heavy Assorted Straight Run, but that would still put a lot of males together.

I'm sure to some of you this is a "duh" question, but I've never done all males! ;)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMO when there are no females present, boys growing up together rarely fight other than the occasional chest bump but nothing too severe.
    If one is particularly whimpy they will pick on him and may kill him.
    You can cull weaklings early.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If you are dsipatching at 20 weeks you will be fine. In fact no females to fight over just makes it easier.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Individual results may vary. I don't think they'd all kill each other, but it is possible that there will be some squabbles. They may also treat one or more of the weakest as their "girlfriend" if you know what I mean.

I've done that All Heavies Assortment before, the great benefit is that you can process them on your own schedule. I started at around 18 weeks, did a few each week until they were done. Often I picked the meatiest ones to do each week, sometimes I would eliminate the worst fighter, or the "girlfriend" for that week.

Be sure to watch the breeds you get, I was sent some Leghorns which aren't on their list of Heavies. They did refund me for them when I called about it.

5. BBUTTER

BBUTTER Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thanks, everyone! I can't wait to try. Out some new breeds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by