Silly Q-With momma and her chicks..how long do they stay in seperate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    cage or whatever from the other chickens? She's actually in the coop with it shut and the other girls are going to have to lay tommorrow in the run in a milk crate or something b/c im not set up for a broody [​IMG] whoops...but i plan on when everyone hatches putting them in a big dog kennel in the garage out of drafts and letting momma and them out every now and then...is that ok? she's VERY docile and i get afraid of leaving her in there with my Roo and other 3 hens...

also, she doesn't need a heat lamp of one of the corners b/c they have her right? [​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] The only Silly Qs are the ones you don't ask.

I think it's better to keep your broody in her own separate quarters during her set. Don't try to move her until after dark. Then put her in the garage, or separate cage or pen, or even fence off a corner in the coop. Otherwise the hens will interrupt your broody, pushing her off the nest and laying their own eggs there. Your broody could also get misdirected on her way back from a break and go set in a different place, letting her egglings cool.

Some flocks will tolerate chicks, some mama hens are fierce defenders. Others fail to protect their chicks from the pecks of the other adult birds. I'd keep the hen & chicks separate for a few weeks at least, until they get some size & speed, before returning them to the flock.

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    thks so much! that helps a bunch! i didn't seperate them earlier and well...there peeping. pip'd. something. [​IMG] whoops...i know i should have but didnt really have a place and just thought i could shut the others out from her until there all hatched and them move them into their seperate cage...luckily noone else lays in the box except her...noone else tried to lay where she was AND she never really got up unless i made her. lol. she's one of the REALLY determined ones i guess--my BO, she might be the sweetest thing ever...now i guess i just sit back and hope it all goes ok to get everyone hatched so they can go into their own safe quarters...

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Mama2B&D&...Chickens :

...thought i could shut the others out from her until there all hatched and them move them into their seperate cage...

This sounds like a good plan. Your other hens can handle a day or two of having things go differently for them while Mama's chicks hatch. Once they're hatched she'll take them all for their first outing. They'll be happy anywhere you put them, as long as they can stay together. Your other adult birds may tolerate them without trying to hurt them, but why take a chance? I'd keep them separate for a few weeks at least. Whenever you decide to put them all together watch them for a while to make sure everyone is happy together.

You can feed hens with chicks the chick starter, maybe include some oyster shell grit free-choice for the layers to eat.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by