Silly question about artichokes??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TMNTCkins, Apr 20, 2011.

1. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Songster

We recently moved into our new house and there are artichoke plants growing. We are know getting artichokes. My question is can we eat them or would it not be a good idea? I have never grown artichokes before so any info would be great.
    Thanks

2. Are you sure they are artichokes and not just another member of the thistle family? They might also be cardoons, another form of basically the same species (like broccoli versus brussels sprouts). Cardoons are also edible. But a bunch of the other members of the thistle family aren't. Make sure before you try them. And if you know they are artichokes or cardoons, go for it!

[​IMG]

3. maple

maple Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    [​IMG] I think that's what they're for.

I've never grown them so I don't know when you're supposed to harvest them. Tried google?

4. maple

maple Songster

Apr 28, 2010
  5. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Songster

Thanks. I will post pictures tomorrow.

6. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Songster

Oct 13, 2010
    Artichokes grown well in coastal CA

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    Artichokes
    [​IMG]

8. Quote:Agreed.....[​IMG]

But be careful when you eat them. Apparently, not everyone knows how.

[​IMG]

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/11/arturo_carvajal_sues_north_mia.php

I worked for this restaurant group for many years, mostly as a server but also as an office accountant for a couple years. This happened a little over a year and a half after I left to return to school. My favorite part is the last two sentences.

[​IMG]

9. PaulaSB12

PaulaSB12 Songster

Dec 6, 2010
    I have 6 green globe artichoke plants growing and 4 purple ones I think I will be awash with them soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: