Silly question about auto egg turners . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Jan 1, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Hi all - I just have a question about the automatic egg turners, as i have never seen one in action. Do they turn the eggs a full 360 degrees from right way up, to upside down and then right way up again - or do they more roll them around from side to side? Just wondering as i would like to build my own incubator and think an automatic turner would be very handy.
    Cheers [​IMG]

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Think of it as a swing for eggs. Gently swinging from one side, to the other.

Most turners rock the eggs from 45 degrees on one side, to 45 degrees on the other. The whole process from starting position, to the opposite upswing, than back to start, takes about 4 hours fro my GQF turner....

My wife was trying to figure out if it flipped the eggs over, or swung them when I was setting up our 'Bator here. [​IMG]

3. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification [​IMG] I couldn't see how they could tip them upside down as the ones I've seen on Ebay had no tops but gathered that when they are turned by hand they complete a whole rotation. It all makes sense now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by