Silly question about breeding...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bird Brain, May 7, 2009.

1. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    I have a Buff Roo and some buff hens. I also have some 2-3 mo old Aracauna hens. The roo hangs with the other buffs and the young chicks stay together and dont really interact with the others. I have a bunch of 2 week old surprises, different breeds. We were considering getting our Aracaunas a roo. Then when the babies grow up, will have to do some manipulating and such, but my question is....

If I get an Aracauna roo and get it to hang with the girls, will he only mate with them, and my buff with the buff? Or should I be expecting some mutts? And when my tophats get out there and I have a roo for them, will they stay together and breed each other? I dont have anyone pened up. Its one big open barnyard. I just assume roo would do what he wants with whom he wants, but thought I would ask ya'll.

Thanks

Alaina

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You're right in your assumption. A rooster usually does not care the breed of the hen. You can expect mutts. I'd suspect the groups are hanging out separtely because they are raised separately. Also the Araucana are too young to interest the rooster. Once they become laying age, I think you will see a big change.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I totally agree.

4. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ha! I just hatched out a little mutt. I know Mama is an Americauna because the egg was green, but who knows who Dadddy was! The chick is solid black and quite tiny, so I suspect one of the speckled cochin banties. They are the...well, I won't say what they are because this is a family forum, but I DO wish they would stay away from the hens!

They are mean as snakes, too, so baby chick may grow up to be a meany.

I am looking for new homes for them.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:a new breed: the "Green Egg Meanies"

6. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    OH that is funny! The Green Egg Meanies!

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Lol, "the green egged meanies"! I like that!! [​IMG]

To the OP, Yes, I would expect some mutts, the roosters are like dogs, they don't care about breed when it comes to mating.

8. Bird Brain

Bird Brain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Hixson, TN
    Quote:LMAO![​IMG]

9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    You will definitely have some mutts. You may have a lot of fighting between the roosters too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by