1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly question about broodies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengoober, Feb 22, 2012.

1. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    So, let's say that I, theoretically of course, have a broody hen. If I let her hatch eggs will she stay broody after that? or will she return to her normal chicken-y duties ( Laying my eggs!) How long would it take for her to stop being broody if I did not allow her to hatch eggs? The eggs she's trying to hatch now are my other girl's daily eggs, which are not fertile. This is my first broody girl and I'm not sure what to do. [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They can take a little while to start laying eggs again while they raise the chicks. In my limited experience with broody hens, I have found that they grow tired of raising the chicks and go back to laying.

But it depends on the breed and some just move from one broody moment to another. Which breed is this?

If you don't want her to be broody, put her in a wire cage for 24-48 hours with no nesting box or anything snuggly in there, with food and water. The airflow under her belly should stop her broody spell. Hopefully.

3. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    She's and Orpington (Buff to be exact :) ) and she's only about a year old, if that. It's her first time being broody and I'm afraid if I did let her hatch chicks, something would go wrong. She's been broody for approx. 4 days now

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Well if you want more chicks get her some fertile eggs to hatch. She will do all the work for you and it's never easier to raise chicks than to let a broody do it. Just be aware that she will not lay eggs while sitting or till she gets tired of being mom. This can last several weeks.The main advantage of a broody is that she will raise them for you and will pretty much integrate them to the rest of the flock for you. As a side note hen raised chicks will not be as friendly as brooder raised chicks till they get a little older.
    If you don't want chicks right now the wire bottomed cage will break her, just keep her butt cool and in the light.

5. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    With my BO's, they set on the eggs for three weeks, then raise the chicks for five or six weeks before they begin laying again. It takes my girls between three and seven days to "get broken" if I don't want them to hatch eggs. I have 6x8' doggie kennels, wired around and across the top (we have raccoons, opossums, and bobcats) and covered with a tarp. I put the broody into the kennel with food and water, no nest, and only a roost to sleep on. After three or so days, when she stops looking so "crazed," I let her out. If she heads right to the nestbox, into the kennel she goes for another couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by